A total of £1 million is available for projects that deliver environmental growth in places where people live, work, access public services, travel (including roadside verges and roundabouts) and spend their leisure time (including public open spaces).
Not-for-profit organisations from the statutory and third sector in Wales can apply for grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 for projects that acquire, restore or enhance nature. A small number of grants of up to £100,000 will also be awarded for landscape-scale demonstrator projects.
To be eligible for funding projects must:
- Be delivered between June 2020 and 31 March 2021.
- Deliver a capital asset that has a plan for future maintenance.
- Have a plan for local activity, designed and led by communities and enabling participation for a wider range of people; helping them to experience and value nature, leading to individual and community action to protect and enhance nature.
- Demonstrate additional multiple benefits spanning environmental, social, economic and cultural wellbeing.
- Understand and enhance existing biodiversity of the selected site.
- Follow accepted guidance on biodiversity and biosecurity, eg, using locally sourced plants, avoiding non-native, invasive species, fertilisers, pesticides and the use of peat-based materials.
Projects can be based anywhere in Wales as long as they are “local” in their nature. There is a particular interest in funding projects that are:
- Focused in areas of deprivation.
- Located in urban or peri-urban areas (rural/urban areas).
The grant can be used to cover capital costs, project delivery costs (such as project planning, procurement materials and financial management) and activity costs that enable the project to involve people in the delivery, for example through events or volunteering.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until the Fund closes on 14 October 2020.
More information about this funding opportunity and the application process is available on the GRANTfinder funding information platform. GRANTfinder provides up-to-the minute content, insight and analysis on funding news and policy. To find out more about how GRANTfinder can keep you in the know, and subscription fees, contact us today.